California’s young people are increasingly of color, with record growth among Latino and Asian American young men. The California Endowment is investing $50 million to make sure that boys and young men of color – and California – will be successful. In seven years, they pledge to deliver on these critical goals:
- Support development of 1000 youth leaders throughout California.
Improve school attendance by 30% in targeted schools to improve reading proficiency.
- Cut in half the number of students suspended, using proven common-sense discipline strategies that keep kids in school and accountable.
- Train all California school police officers on youth development and trauma.
- Start 10 prosecutor programs that keep young people accountable and divert them out of the justice system by addressing the underlying need.
- Enroll all eligible children in health coverage to support their physical and mental health.